Country name: Mexico
Population: 114.8 million (UN, 2011)
Capital: Mexico City
Area: 1.96 million sq km (758,449 sq miles)
Major language: Spanish
Major Religion: Christianity
Currency: 1 peso = 100 centavos
Main exports: Machinery and transport equipment, mineral fuels and lubricants, food and live animals
Internet domain: .mx
International dailling code: +52
Climate: You might think that Mexico would be warm all year long owing to its latitude but this is not true. Its altitude is also a factor. (Like Lewis the Lion had already discovered in Bolivia and Peru!) . Mexico is a big country with different terrains which affect the weather, e.g. tropical forests, dry deserts, fertile valleys and snow-capped mountains. However, on the coast the climate is generally mild all year-round but you need to watch out during the summertime as it is hurricane season…as Lewis the Lion discovered on his travels!
Lewis the Lion only spent a short time in Mexico (2 weeks) but what he saw, experienced and learnt, he loved. For instance:
– He discovered that it wasn’t just the Aztecs that built pyramids in and around Mexico City! (He’ll tell you about that in one of his blogs!).
– Mexico has a strong culinary tradition and street food is readily available, such as tacos.
– Mexico has the world’s second most important reef which is fantastic for divers.
– Mexico has other native languages, such as Mayan. There is still a strong Mayan culture in the North-East of the culture.
– That Mexico is part of North America and its capital city is the most populated city in the world!